Many apologies to my colleagues about the gelly. When researching the material, I found no warning the material had a distinct smell. I should have known, at the amount that I am using -almost five pounds of it, the distinct smell of gelatin becomes incredibly potent.
Nonetheless a sigh of relief was heard all over the Foundry when I said I would finally throw away the gelatin.
With the weather warming up, it just intensifies the smell. And sharing ventilation systems with studio mates just poses so many problems.
Above my smooth-on rubber mold. Definitely loving how the mold came out and the immense detail I got.
Bellow is a test of how the gelatin reacts to the acrylic support system.
What I ended up using is a little over five and a half pounds or so of gelatin. It essentially made about 12 quarts of gelatin.
In working with gelatin, I have learned that it is heat and time sensitive. The more heat and time the smellier it becomes.
Aesthetically though, the gelatin is the perfect material. I love the color.
So what resulted, as my first cast of the gelatin.
There are definitely structurally issues. The gelatin at the thickest is about five thick. At that part it has difficulty supporting itself. Its actual wearability becomes extremely cumbersome when the gelatin is finally on the support.
I am not entirely abandoning the project, this is definitely going to be revisited.
Melting "belly gelly." A nice idea of how the material biodegrades over time as well as they acrylic vaccu formed support system.
Had to use my hand to squeeze the gelatin that was sandwiched between the two layers of acrylic.